Chicago’s housing market has been putting up some great numbers in 2013; what are the staging secrets behind those numbers?
There’s no doubt that the Chicago real estate market this year is at levels it hasn’t been in years. With that being said, we have had the opportunity to preview many homes going on the market. From vacant to occupied, I thought I would share the top five recommendations given to homeowners for the more than $40 million worth of real estate staged to sold by Signature Staging thus far in 2013.
1. Clean your house – Before your first showing, do yourself a favor and hire a professional cleaning company to do a deep cleaning of your home. Those baseboards and ceiling fans are often dirty culprits!
2. Closet Organization – Home Staging is setting the scene for how the next buyer would want to live in your home. Walking in and seeing dirty clothes on the floor, excessive empty drycleaning hangers and unfolded clothes is what happens when we live in a home. A buyer wants to envision and organized area with ample space.
3. Edit, Edit, Edit – A professional home stager can work with you to edit your furnishings and belongings. We often work with many clients that choose to donate unwanted items (and many times put belongings into storage). Remember, we are selling the space!
4. Paint – Painting is one of the biggest ROI’s when preparing a home for market. Soft grays are HOT right now! You would be amazed what a fresh coat of paint can do to a space to instantly make it feel fresher, as well as eliminate a potentially large project to a buyer (see the photo above for a great example).
5. Stage your listing – Obviously, this is one of my recommendations. Whether you do just the key areas of the home or the entire listing, presentation is everything! You only have one chance to make a first impression. A professional stager will work with you in determining the best course of action for you and your home.
As we go into the fall market, chat with your homeowners about these tips. For a more in-depth analysis, a home stager can offer specific guidance and professional resources to help get these done quickly and efficiently.
Enjoy the rest of summer!
The owner and principal stylist of Signature Staging, David Cieslak is known for his excellence in taste, service and efficiency, and gives Realtors and their clients’ homes a competitive edge.
A Certified Staging Professional, Cieslak is also the vice president of the Chicago Chapter of the Real Estate Staging Association (RESA), and his work has been featured on LX.TV OpenHouse, which airs on NBC. He was also a RESA Stager of the Year Nominee for the Midwest in 2012.