Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Ryan Parks, a broker with Related Realty, for his proven methods on how to reach top-producer status.
6. Don’t try to re-invent the wheel with every transaction. Have a system in place that you follow for each buyer and seller – from the initial meeting to closing. Having each step written out keeps you from forgetting the small but essential details that create a smooth experience and ultimately a successful transaction.
5. Don’t always be “business minded” with your clients. During my very first meeting with a new client, I usually break the ice by telling a quick story that makes them smile or laugh. It’s often received as a breath of fresh air and helps lower their guard. That leads to a more candid and productive conversation when discussing their sale or purchase.
4. As simple as it sounds, know where you are going when driving clients to showings. If you are unsure about a particular location, test the route before taking your buyer out. You’ll appear more confident and knowledgeable when you can talk freely with your clients while driving, rather than staring at your GPS or the street signs.
3. Send a personal note to a new client after the initial meeting. This is much more impactful than a follow-up email – you will stand out, and your client will be impressed.
2. Understand the market you are in: how we got here, what dynamics are at play and where the market is heading. It doesn’t matter what market cycle we are in – people always want to know how the market is doing. This is your chance to show your knowledge, gain their trust and set the foundation for them to eventually use your services.
1. Ask for referrals! Most people don’t realize how and where agents acquire new business. It’s not that they don’t care – they simply don’t know, so make sure they understand how important their referral is to you.
Ryan Parks is a broker with Related Realty, and has been recognized as a top producer multiple times by the Chicago Association of Realtors.