Every week, we ask a real estate professional for their Short List, a collection of tips and recommendations on an essential topic in real estate. This week, we talked with Dan Kieres, a Realtor with d’aprile properties. Dan is a native of Edison Park and currently resides in Norwood Park on Chicago’s Northwest Side. He is making a name for himself in the Chicagoland area by consistently going above and beyond the call of duty for his clients. He considers himself a buyer/seller specialist with a strong eye for income-producing property.
6. Be Strategic! Position your marketing messages around what’s happening in the world. How about the upcoming election? You might consider creating a postcard or social media post with a picture of yourself amongst several presidential candidates. Ask your followers to then “vote for you” as their Realtor in the upcoming election. When it comes to sticking out in a city full of real estate brokers, you need to be constantly thinking outside of the box.
5. Be Fun! One of my favorite things to do is to send all of my friends, family and client’s hand-written birthday cards with lottery tickets stuffed inside on their birthday. I like to then follow-up one week after their birthday to ask if they are now millionaires from the lottery tickets I sent them. Keep it light-hearted, fun and exciting.
4. Be Yourself! People absolutely hate to be sold – including me. And guess what? It’s not about you! People ultimately choose to do business with people whom they like, and the truth of the matter is that everyone likes someone who genuinely appreciates them. Find ways to connect with your clients on a personal level, and just be yourself.
3. Be Appreciative! This might be the most important tip yet. The most powerful tool we have in this life is appreciation. I find that when you genuinely appreciate your friends, family and clients for who they are, then your personal life, circle of friends, overall happiness and business will grow beyond your wildest dreams.
2. Be Unique! Did you know that the average consumer knows 14 other Realtors besides yourself? Every year, I receive dozens of calendars from local real estate brokers in the area. In the age of new technology, smart phones, tablets and computers, how many of us are actually utilizing those bulky calendars anymore? When you follow the crowd, you will go no further than the crowd. The one who is UNIQUE is likely to find themselves where no one has ever been before. Think big and be unique.
1. Be Ready! You never know when new business will come knocking on your door, so it’s important to keep current on the latest trends within the real estate market so that you can provide valuable insight and customer service. Attend real estate training seminars, read books, ride along with a top-producing broker, take additional classes. By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Stay sharp, operate with purpose and be ready.