With the mobility of being a Realtor, my car is an extension of my home-office – the only difference, of course, is that it’s on wheels. It can be quite a juggling act, having a mobile office on the move. I have learned to bridge the gap and, in the process, came up with some must-haves while on the road.
Here are my top five tools that have proven to be life savers as well as a critical asset to my business:
1. A flexible sorter with room for files, including blank contracts, leases, disclosures, etc. – This is specifically made for my car, and it’s always in my back seat. In addition to the aforementioned documents, I also keep all the business cards of my business network, including mortgage brokers, inspectors, bankers, structural engineers, housekeepers, landscapers, etc., in case a client needs a referral. I also have this list drafted in an email, which I can forward from my phone; in the end, it all depends on the preference of the client.
2. A stockpile of blue pens, highlighters, post-it’s, a small stapler and tape. I also include two flashlights, measuring tape and a small tool kit and bottled water. Clients are impressed when they see I have all of the bases covered, and it builds their confidence in my ability to represent them.
3. A clipboard – This is critical for contracts, notes and keeping organized during showings.
4. A GPS app – I have traded my bulky GPS for a GPS app on my phone, so I can use voice command to speak the addresses and move forward from there.
5. A flexible coiled key ring – This enables me to carry my Sentrilock card and my car keys attached to my wrist at all times. This lessens the risk of leaving them behind in a locked house, which is not a situation to be in.
Having the right tools on in my car while on the move makes me more confident and organized. This confidence is conveyed to my clients, which generally will boost their confidence in me to represent them. Buyers and sellers love to work with organized people. So think of your car as an extension of your office.
Pamela Peterson is a broker associate with RE/MAX Action in Lisle. She can be contacted at:
Office: 1550 Maple, Lisle 60532
Office Phone: 1-800-276-2600
Cell Phone: 1-630-803-9554