Trends for 2015, more than ever before, show a distinct reflection of who we are, and how our five senses react to today’s design trends and the flooring products we select to give us the most comfort in our homes.
5. Sense of Sight = Pattern and Color – Pattern: Whether it is wood installed on a diagonal, offset tile installations or cut and loop patterned carpets, patterns offer a distinctive individual look to your home.
Color: Marsala may be the color of the year but gray is here to stay! It is time to embrace gray and today’s flooring trends do a wonderful job of melding together traditional warm tones with these exciting new gray tones. Especially big for 2015 are hardwood floors stained using gray tones!
4. Sense of Hearing = Quiet – In the spaces we used to put laminate flooring or inexpensive ceramic tile, we are now seeing luxury vinyl planks and tiles emerging as the smart choice. These products look so real and do a great job of lowering the tapping sounds of walking around our homes. Carpeting still remains the most popular floor surface for our bedrooms – helping to create that peaceful sanctuary at the end of the day.
3. Sense of Touch = Soft – We want soft and the fiber manufacturers have done a great job bringing a whole new level of softness to the new carpet introductions for 2015. Nothing can beat a nice, thick soft carpet to lie on and watch TV with the family at the end of the day. Having soft, fuzzy rugs for our toes to curl into under our tables brings a sense of warmth and coziness to our homes.
2. Sense of Smell = Green – No, not the smell of money! The flooring industry is continuing to move towards green products in all different floor surfaces. The Greenguard certification on flooring products lets us know that these products emit a very low odor and have been rated safe for children and schools. N6 nylon carpet can be recycled right back into carpet. Shaw’s EnviroCore™ material is a stable structure for laminate and engineered wood flooring made from recycled post-industrial wood fiber. For 2015 the manufacturers are catering to our desire as home owners to be environmentally conscious for years to come.
1. Sense of Taste = Wait, What? – Okay, so maybe taste doesn’t fit into flooring trends. But the continued move toward hard surface flooring on the main levels of our homes means that we can all rest easy knowing that when the kids run around with food, the clean-up is just a wet paper towel away!
Donna Teagle, of Floor Coverings International, has been in the industry for more than 15 years. A recipient of the Bronze Growth Award at the 2015 Floor Coverings International National Convention, Donna has also been appointed to the Floor Coverings International Franchise Advisory Council for 2015. A lifelong resident of Chicago’s western suburbs, Donna has worked with such local community and non-profit organizations as Kopion Soccer, Outreach Community Ministries, Ray Graham Association, Wheaton Chamber of Commerce and Wheaton Christian Grammar School.