The new year is just around the corner, and if you’ve resolved to make your living space come alive with color and unique accents alike, a new forecast can help you choose your new decor.
Zillow recently released its Home Trend Forecast and compiled a list of trends expected to gain traction in 2018, as well as fads on their way out of style. Experts foresee loud, eye-catching floral prints, flooring and cabinetry taking over living spaces across the country, replacing drab, all-white kitchens and impractical accents like bar carts and succulents.
“In 2018, expect to see a shift away from the farmhouse chic trend,” advises Kerrie Kelly, Zillow home design expert. “Instead, look for a rise in warmer colors, unique natural woods — both in flooring and cabinetry — and floral prints.”
Check out the top-five home design trends for 2018 below, and see whether or not you’re ready for them.
- Floral prints. Say goodbye to monotoned, pale-colored furniture and hello to bold, accented floral fabrics adorning your walls and cushions. Experts anticipate a surge in popularity for floral patterns with lots of color, particularly for drapery, chairs, bedspreads and throw pillows.
- Statement floors. Hardwood floors may not be the to-die-for flooring option anymore. Zillow’s predicting that geometric tile and light-colored herringbone-style hardwoods will rise on must-have lists for buyers and sellers alike. These types of flooring are perfect for small spaces in need of a wow factor, like bathrooms or laundry rooms.
- Light wood cabinets. No one wants cabinetry that can be easily stained, especially in kitchens or dining areas. That’s why medium and light wood cabinets are expected to rise in popularity next year, making any living space inviting with their flat fronts and clean lines.
- Warm neutrals. In terms of wall color, 2018 isn’t hinting at any crazy style choices, but it is ditching mute pastels for warm reds, browns and blues. Experts are pairing the light wooden cabinetry with moody color palettes to give interiors a more welcoming atmosphere.
- Matte metal hardware. Also pairing nicely with medium and light wooden cabinets in the kitchen are matte light fixtures and kitchen hardware, like drawer handles. Matte metal gives any appliance a sleek finish and adds professionalism to any space.