Co-op commisison 2.5% – $150
The Rohkam House, built in 1887, is the key home in Terra Cotta Row on Oakdale Avenue. Built by the founders of the Northwestern Terra Cotta Company, Gustav Hottinger and Henry Rohkam, Terra Cotta Row refers to the concentration of houses built by the industrialists, as well as the terra-cotta detailing of the structures. This buff-colored brick and terra-cotta home, located on 1048 W. Oakdale Ave., features German-Austrian architecture. Some of the most notable features are the stepped gables with brick corbelling on the south and west facades. The home’s fence incudes piers, rails and newel posts in red terra cotta, and is the only surviving fence on the row that is not made of iron. The west façade features a large figurative panel showing a woman seated at a spinning wheel, and most likely represents a member of the Rohkam family. This 4,500-square-foot home has four bedrooms, three and two-one-half bathrooms and is restored with silk-screened wallpapers, artist-painted walls and imported tiles and marbles. In 1912, a pressed-brick and terra-cotta three-level coach house was built in a style consistent with the house. The coach house has two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a kitchen and living room. The Rohkam House is on the national registry of historic places.