Eco18, a 93-unit environmentally responsible new construction condominium development, is underway at 1818 S. Wabash Ave. in Chicago’s South Loop neighborhood.
“Green living is part of the DNA at eco18, the first large scale condominium development in Chicago to seek LEED Gold Certification from the U.S. Green Building Council,” says Rick Turner, president of Dynaprop Development Corp. “eco18 will include landmark environmental features such as a geothermal energy system, hot water heated with solar panels, and an elaborate green rooftop garden.”
LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design, the nationally accepted benchmark for the design, construction and operation of high performance green buildings.
Turner outlined the following details of the environmentally responsible features planned at eco18:
• A geothermal energy system — The system will consist of piping dug 450 feet into the ground, which will provide energy-efficient heating and cooling year round.
• Solar-heated hot water — More than 70 solar panels on the 12th floor roof of the building will create almost one-half of the hot water at eco18.
• An elaborate green rooftop garden — Planned for the fourth floor at eco18, the 12,000-square-foot garden minimizes heat island effects, reduces rain water runoff and insulates the building, according to Turner.
• Water and energy conservation — eco18 includes water conserving plumbing fixtures and appliances, including dual flush toilets and front load washers. Storm water is filtered through a recycled stone-filled drywell. Rainwater is col- lected and reused for green roof irrigation.
• A limited number of preferred parking spaces will be available for hybrid vehicles — The building is also in close proximity to public transportation.
Plans for the development call for a classically detailed 12-story building with a stone facade accented with an octagon turret and recessed balconies with wrought-iron railings. The building will feature 93 condominium units.
The mixed-use development will also feature 9,000 square feet of retail space on the ground floor and heated indoor parking for approximately 100 cars. Ground floor retail is accessible without leaving the building.
eco18 will have one-bedroom, one-bedroom-plus-den, two-bedroom and two-bedroom-plus-den residences with one or two baths and 809 to 1,583 square feet of living space. Pre-construction base prices range from the mid-$200,000s to the high-$500,000 bracket. Heated garage parking is available for $29,900.
The condominiums, designed by architects Wight & Co., showcase open floor plans and large living spaces, a gourmet kitchen with eat-in bar. Many units have a separate office nook, while all units feature ceiling heights of 9.5 feet.
Unit 1211, a two-bedroom-plus-den, two-bathroom, corner penthouse, features an expansive wraparound terrace and 1,583 square feet of living area.
The foyer leads to a 21.5- X 20.5-foot living/dining area. An adjoining gourmet kitchen with a countertop bar area has stainless-steel appliances, custom-built cabinets with 42-inch uppers in a variety of finishes and Moen faucets. Granite and limestone countertops are offered in a range of colors.
The master bath includes a white subway-tile tub and shower surround. Baths have ceramic stone flooring, Moen faucets, wood cabinets that match kitchen selections and a choice of granite, limestone or marble vanity top.
A laundry room, designed for a side-by-side washer/dryer, is off the foyer.
Other features of the residence include: bamboo flooring, solid exterior and interior doors, brushed chrome door hardware, Cat. 5 wiring, pre-wiring for speakers in the living room and track lighting.
For more information, call Jameson Realty Group at 312.751.0300, or visit eco18.com.
Location South Loop, Chicago
Housing Type Condominium
Number of Units 93
Number Sold 25
Delivery Date Summer 2009
Price Range From the mid-$200,000s to the high-$500,000s/low-$600,000s
Architect Wight & Co.
Developer Dynaprop XX: Wabash LLC